Addressing Relocation Issues

A new job or a change in your family may require you to move. However, as a custodial parent, if you plan to move out of the court's jurisdiction with your child you need a lawyer to help you get court permission to move.

At the office of H. Stephen Hillebrand, Attorney at Law, I help parents obtain child custody modifications and permission to relocate. I also represent noncustodial parents who want to fight a child relocation. As a Sarasota child and parental relocation lawyer with 35 years of experience, I can help you understand your options and work toward a court-approved relocation plan that meets your needs.

How Relocations Work

A custodial parent cannot simply move away with his or her child. You must inform the noncustodial parent and obtain permission from the court prior to the relocation. The court considers a number of factors when determining whether or not to permit relocation, including:

  • Extent of involvement with the child by the parents
  • Proposed substitute contact schedule between the child and the nonrelocating parent
  • Whether relocation will enhance the general quality of life for the parent seeking to relocate and the child
  • Current employment and economic circumstances of both parties
  • Whether the person seeking relocation is doing so in good faith
  • Any other factors affecting the best interest of the child

There is no presumption for or against allowing a parent to relocate with his or her child. No matter what side you are on, I will help you obtain a Florida court's ratification of a relocation agreement or represent you in the hearing.

Temporary Relocation Orders

In cases where you must move quickly, the court can grant a temporary relocation order. While a normal hearing can take up to 90 days to be scheduled, a hearing for a temporary order may be possible within 30 days. I can help you work for a temporary order and get started on your move out of state.

Worried About Pursuing Legal Action For This Complex Matter? Contact An Experienced Child Custody Dispute Lawyer.

Whether you need to move out of state with your child or want to prevent your child from moving away, I can help. Call 941-365-5900 or complete my online questionnaire to schedule a free consultation at my Sarasota office.